Life in first grade can be a crazy place! So crazy that sometimes our classroom website has to take a back seat to the learning and fun! Even though your wonderful child updates you on our weekly classroom activities....here's a recap of what our blog has been missing over the past 3 months! :)
1) We had a SUPER Halloween celebration! First grade teachers showed off our super powers - teaching! :) We also attended a PBIS party where we danced, played games, and ran through an obstacle course. A great time was had by all! (I regret not taking a class picture in our costumes! Darn!)
2) In November we started MATH workshop! We do not have time to do this daily, but try to do it several times a week. It is a great opportunity for students to work on some skills independently and get repetitive practice of things like math facts! Additionally, it gives me an opportunity to meet with them in smaller groups and give instruction at their level! Each lesson begins with a whole group mini lesson, then students move through 4 different centers - M: Math Facts, A: At my seat, T: Teacher's desk, H: Hands on.
3) On Veteran's Day, we had a visit from a very special veteran! Lily's mom - Stacy Dudzinski came in to talk to the students about her experiences and read a story. We had a lot of great questions about her experiences but our favorite part was trying on all her different jackets and hats! Thank you for your service AND for taking time to speak with our class Ms. Dudzinski! :)
4) In November, we also had our own Thanksgiving Feast! (Kind of!) Students were each given a bag of different treats that represented foods that would have been present at the first feast between the Pilgrims and Native Americans. (For example - cheese balls for pumpkins, crasins for cranberries.) We then took on the task of sorting out our individual feasts and graphing them! We had a fun time seeing which type of food we each had the most of in our baggies since they were all different. But obviously the best part was getting to CHOW DOWN at the end! :)
5) In December, we sang and danced like professionals at our winter concert! We were the cutest "flakes" out there! :)
6) Also in December we took on the very fun (and messy) job of building and decorating our own gingerbread houses! We had a lot of parent helpers that not only sat with their child, but moved around the room to help other friends secure the walls of their houses on the first day! Day 2 was filled with LOTS of candy for decorating! What a great time!
7) After enjoying a nice break from school, we came back ready to learn! We started off the new year by taking a computer based reading test to determine reading levels for our school's library books! Students worked hard and tried their best. Now everyone has a colored sticker of book that they look for based on their reading level range, so hopefully we are able to do more independent reading at home!
8) For the 100th day of school, we all aged quite a bit! There were many 100 year olds roaming around our classroom. Surprisingly they were very energetic for their age! :) We had a blast doing 100 day themed centers like making a structure with 100 cubes, making 100 stamp books, flipping a coin 100 times, and writing all the way to 100! Once again...a class picture was forgotten, which is unfortunate because we had some adorable 100 year olds!
9) And most recently...as sickness hits North Ward Elementary, we found a way to make the most of a not great situation! Mr. Plotner's third grade class was down to less than half, so he offered up his students to be helpers for the day! They joined us for our math test review and got to be the teachers! First graders and third graders alike loved this experience! After the third grade "teacher" helped their friend do their review page, they switched roles! The first graders got to be the "teacher" and taught their friend to play our first grade version of Yahtzee! It was an afternoon filled with learning and fun! We hope to find more opportunities to buddy up with other classes, but hopefully with all students in attendance! :)
Whew! I think we're finally up to date! Keep checking back for more fun in first grade! :)